Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Michigan U.P. Chicagon lake trip

Message Subject: Michigan U.P. Chicagon lake trip
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/8/2017 12:52 AM (#845389)
Subject: Michigan U.P. Chicagon lake trip

I am heading up to the U.P. In the late spring or early summer and plan to fish either chicagon lake or lake Emily, I know lake Emily doesn't have the biggest Muskie around but I hear there is numbers in there and I'm still looking for my first Muskie. I also will be on Chicagon. And was wondering what the best way to go after the Muskie would be (being a very deep and clear lake). If you have suggestions or tips for either lake Emily or chicagon I would greatly appreciate it if you would share them with me. Thanks!!!!

P.S. I heard that there is lake trout in chicagon and I was thinking about maybe targeting them for a while as a break from the Muskie. I know this is a Muskie forum but if you have any lake trout tips let me know, or if you've fished chicagon for lake trout even better (:
GOCmuskiesWV
Posted 1/8/2017 11:02 AM (#845402 - in reply to #845389)
Subject: RE: Michigan U.P. Chicagon lake trip

I'm unfamiliar with either of these lakes, but on the deep, clear lake I would concentrate my efforts in low light conditions. Fish in gin clear lakes spook very easily in broad daylight conditions. Your odds are much better before and after sunset and cloudy/over cast days.
ToddM
Posted 1/8/2017 12:05 PM (#845405 - in reply to #845389)
Subject: Re: Michigan U.P. Chicagon lake trip

If you are looking for your first musky, i would try emily and stanley. Chicagon is deep and clear which would be as stated better in low light.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/8/2017 1:13 PM (#845414 - in reply to #845389)

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think that if I was to spend some time on chicagon trolling would be a good bet. I've never really tried trolling before and was interested in starting. All I have right now for trolling baits is a few legend perchbaits a few flatsticks and a believer. Do you have any other suggestions for good trolling baits. Thanks (: also how deep would you suggest trolling a deep clear lake like like chicagon.
ToddM
Posted 1/8/2017 1:35 PM (#845417 - in reply to #845389)

I would add some baits like depthraders. Try trolling at night. I have not fished chicagon but have stanley. Fish the structure, breaks and look for baitfish schools. Depth.will be relative to where the baitfish are located. I typically do not fish clear lakes unless the conditions are right so keep your options open.
krazyk
Posted 1/9/2017 1:33 PM (#845541 - in reply to #845389)

Having fished Chicagon it is a deep clear lake with flats on both ends and a nice bulrush hump on the west side...Early and late was the key for us and small topwaters over the sparse vegetation was a good option. It is not a numbers lake but the fish are well fed tanks..If you want a lot of action check out the Paint River in Crystal Falls..there's some nice hybrids in there as well...
Grass
Posted 1/13/2017 12:50 PM (#845994 - in reply to #845389)

Lake Emily is a great lake to catch your 1st muskie on and very easy to fish.
Snap on a small bucktail and fish the cabbage and points and you'll catch a muskie.
CiscoKid
Posted 1/13/2017 2:27 PM (#846011 - in reply to #845389)

I would focus your efforts on Emily or the Paint River especially since you are looking for your first fish. Emily is pretty easy to figure out, and will keep you entertained.

Go bright and small on Emily. The fish can be found anywhere. Some good walleyes and panfish in there as well if you want to change things up.

Edited by CiscoKid 1/13/2017 2:38 PM
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/13/2017 6:26 PM (#846035 - in reply to #845389)

Thanks for the replies everybody! I'm defiantly going to try Emily with hopes of getting my first. It's close to where I am staying so I can be out there very early and fish from the evening into dark. Maybe if I get lucky at Emily and get a fish or two I'll go over to chicagon and troll for a while. But anyway what are some good baits to try at Emily. I know CiscoKid said bright and small and Grass said small buchtail. Do you guys have any other suggestions, like places or structure to spend some extra time at and maybe the best times of day. Thanks for the help!!

Edited by Musky_Mo16 1/13/2017 6:29 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 1/13/2017 6:40 PM (#846040 - in reply to #846035)

5 or 6 years ago I fished Emily for several days while on vacation. Ended up with like 20 muskies. One was 41" but most were around or under 30". Pretty much anything caught fish but squirly phantoms and bull dawgs were the best.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/13/2017 8:39 PM (#846053 - in reply to #845389)

Thanks for the advice! I assume your talking about the smaller size bulldawgs (not spring dawgs) and smaller phantoms? Would you say that bright colors or more natural colors worked best? Thanks!
fish4musky1
Posted 1/13/2017 8:51 PM (#846054 - in reply to #845389)

Actually 9" phantoms and magnum bulldawgs. Bright colors- orange and chartreuse.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/13/2017 8:55 PM (#846056 - in reply to #845389)

Wow!!! Never would have guessed baits of that size. That's good though I have plenty of larger baits. I've caught 24" pike off pounders here in Illinois but never imagined a even 35" Muskie taking one.

I know that Emily is a very weedy lake that is sort of shaped like a bowl. Did you fish shallow or did you focus on deeper water?

Edited by Musky_Mo16 1/13/2017 8:58 PM
Posted 1/15/2017 7:19 AM (#846227 - in reply to #846056)

Don't forget about the paint pond and peavy pond too.Stop in at luckys ,make a purchase tell him your catch and release they usually will steer you in the right direction.
Grass
Posted 1/16/2017 2:39 PM (#846385 - in reply to #845389)

Don't overthink Emily lake. It's small and easy to fish, clear water.
If you're fishing it in the early part of the season, I would start with very small baits like a Mepps Aglia or a Rapala. Also caught many fish on regular a size Suick, color doesn't matter.
The one key on Emily is wind, and have had much better action on windy days than calm, direction doesn't matter. Just fish it.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/16/2017 3:45 PM (#846390 - in reply to #845389)

Thanks for the tip, I defiantly tend to overthink sometimes, especially since I haven't caught my first Muskie yet. It just gets overwhelming because I don't have any confidance baits yet since I haven't caught one yet. But when I do finally catch one I'm sure that will be my confidence bait for quite some time (:
CiscoKid
Posted 1/17/2017 11:13 AM (#846473 - in reply to #845389)

The fish in Emily have a soft spot for twitch baits. Talonz (Fishall) little claws and regular claws, baby shallow raiders and shallow raiders, and Krave Jr.s all work well. Topwaters are very effective, and they will also chase a fly there.

There are some good fish in Emily if you find the right pattern. The fish can be found anywhere including suspended.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/25/2017 11:38 PM (#847578 - in reply to #845389)

Does anybody know about the water clarity on Emily?
Johnnie
Posted 2/10/2017 4:50 PM (#849348 - in reply to #847578)

About your original question about lake trout, in Chicagoan..my partner and f,I caught a couple up,to 35" in Nov. while trolling Cisco Depth Raider for Muskie.
But I agree with above comments about Emily being one of the best waters I know to catch your first Muskie.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)